IKEA is known for selling affordable goods for the home to the masses and that philosophy holds true with their fairly comprehensive stable of mattress offerings. IKEA sells 17 mattresses in 15 different designs using either foams, latex or a combination of those with coils in their hybrids. They are a big international company, so they know how to do volume.
But they don’t necessarily cover a range of tastes or needs with those 17 mattresses. You’ll find good, budget-priced options in your price range for guest rooms and dorm rooms, i.e. places where an affordable, temporary solution is the best choice. There are even specific, thin, foam and coil mattresses for daybeds and children’s beds. There are also several different firmness options depending on the type of mattress you choose. Still, fair warning, the chief complaints about IKEA mattresses are (1) that they can feel too firm for average sleepers and (2) they break down easily.
IKEA uses both memory foam and polyurethane foams in their best foam mattresses. Memory foam mattresses do the best job curving around hips and shoulders and bums and relieving pressure on each of those body parts. The polyfoam can be manipulated, using lower and higher density versions so you can, at the same time, get support (neck, lower back) and contouring (hips, shoulders, tummy).
Models in the IKEA foam bed collection include:
Latex can be sourced naturally. Most latex is made of tree sap. That and the fact that it is known to do a great job at pressure point relief for wider body parts means latex can work for a lot of different types of sleep. They’re often better choices for heavy sleepers since latex has bounce and firm support. IKEA even produces a fairly natural option using natural latex, wool and cotton fabrics, and coconut fibers within the layers themselves.
Models in the IKEA latex collection include:
Innerspring Coil Models
Hybrid mattresses are usually the most expensive times within any brand and so, too, with IKEA. Hybrids are a good compromise for many sleepers. To people who like sleeping on coils, it’s a bit of old school comfort mixed with new-age technology with memory foam or latex. Tried and true? Not a bad thing when any mattresses with innerspring coils are getting plenty of airflow to stay cool and are durable. When the coils are individually wrapped, they both adapt to body parts to relieve pressure and support your body.
Models in the IKEA innerspring collection include:
An IKEA foam mattress might work for you if ….
- Love a good deal. (Matrand model.)
- Need or really like a firm mattress..
- Want to give memory or polyurethane foam a try without going into debt. (Knapstad model, which is a newer option).
- You’re a college student who needs something quickly
An IKEA latex mattress might work for you if ….
- You’re looking for that medium-firm feel in a mattress
- Want airflow features like lambswool filling and holes in the latex (Myrbacka)
- Want to try an eco-friendly mattress at a friendly price (Mausand)
- You have a partner and want to limit how much of their tossing and turning you feel for the sake of your relationship and world peace
An IKEA innerspring mattress (and an all-coil option) mattress might work for you if ….
- You prefer a medium-firm to firm mattress that distributes your weight evenly.
- You need good edge support because you share your bed and don’t want any sagging
- You like the feel of coils, especially fancy, double-layered coils (Hesstrun, Hjellestad)
- You’re looking for a mattress that’s better equipped for sex.
- You need something thinner for a daybed (Husvika)
- You like sleeping high up, like 17 inches above your foundation (Holmsbu)
- Mattresses have a reasonable price point
- Foam, latex, coil and hybrid options cover all the bases
- Easy returns (back to the store or via pickup)
- The trial period lasts one year
- Generous 25-year warranty
- Durability is an issue
- Only available in twin, full, queen and king sizes
- More medium-firm to firm mattresses across the board
- Not for people who need or like plush mattresses
- Not for lightweight people
- Ironically, mostly firm mattresses that don’t do so well with heavy people
- Twin: 38” x 75”
- Full: 53” x 75”
- Queen: 60” x 80”
- King: 76” x 80”
*F=Foam; MF=Memory Foam; L=Latex; S=Springs; H=Hybrid
Memory Foam Collection
WEIGHT FOR QUEEN
THICKNESSKnapstad Memory foam Med. Firm 87 lbs 10 inches Morgedal Foam Med. Firm or Firm: 6 or 8/10 46 lbs 7 inches Matrand Memory foam Firm: 7/10 57 lbs 7 inches Myrbacka Memory foam Firm: 7/10 68 lbs 9 inches Minnesund Foam Firm: 7/10 24 lbs 4 inches Meistervik Foam Firm: 7/10 31 lbs 4 inches
WEIGHT FOR QUEEN
THICKNESSMausand Natural Latex w/foam Medium-firm: 6/10 137 lbs 8 inches Matrand Latex Medium-firm: 6/10 62 lbs 7 inches Myrbacka Synthetic Latex Medium-firm: 6/10 88 lbs 9 inches
WEIGHT FOR QUEEN
THICKNESSHidrasund Innerspring Firm: 7/10 168 lbs 13 inches Haugesund Innerspring Med. firm or firm:
6 or 8/10 60 lbs 10 inches Haugsvär Innerspring/Foam Hybrid Available in medium and firm 73 lbs 11 inches Hasvåg Innerspring/Foam Hybrid Medium-firm: 6/10 57 lbs 8 inches Hesstun Innerspring/Foam Hybrid with Eurotop Available in medium and medium-firm 102 lbs 12 inches Hjellestad Innerspring Foam Hybrid Pillowtop Medium: 5/10 135 lbs 15 inches Holmsbu Innerspring Foam Hybrid Pillowtop Firm: 7/10 168 lbs 17 inches Husvika Innerspring Firm: 7/10 33 lbs (twin) 5 inches
Trial Period and Returns
IKEA gives you 365 days to road test their mattresses. We’d normally be crowing that you need “at least 30 days” to get used to a new mattress, but IKEA is way ahead of us on this one. If you send it back within 365 days and can produce the original receipt, they’ll give you a refund. IKEA’s return policy allows you to it for no fee, with your ID and the original receipt, to any IKEA store. You can arrange a pickup by calling IKEA. They’ll tell you how much it will cost and help you schedule the exchange.
IKEA offers a 25-year limited warranty on mattresses that covers defects in materials and workmanship. This applies only to the original purchaser in the U.S. only, who has the original receipt. And it applies only to certain materials in the mattresses: the pocket springs in innerspring versions, the foam in a foam mattress and the latex in the latex models.
Shipping and Delivery
IKEA with UPS Ground or Common Carrier (another delivery service). Most orders take two days to process, but you’ll receive an estimated delivery date at checkout. (It’s not a guaranteed date!) IKEA delivery starts at $59, but it varies based on their schedule and how far you live from an IKEA store. Same thing for expedited delivery, which starts at $64. One cool thing: If you’re ordering other items, the price they quote you will cover all of your items. It’s a base price per order, not per item. They’ll even bring all of your stuff into the house (not just to the door).
For anyone who hates waiting eight hours for the cable guy, the electrician or the HVAC man, IKEA offers four-hour delivery windows. Once you receive your mattress and unpack it, IKEA says it will take roughly 72 hours to reinflate.
Financing (if applicable)
You can get financing through the IKEA Projekt credit card with 0% APR for 6, 12 or 24 months depending on how much you spend. No annual fee or penalty if you pay it off early. You can also finance your mattress purchase via the IKEA Visa credit card. This one acts more like other credit cards in that it earns you IKEA points towards rewards with every purchase.
You can purchase IKEA products online on the store website or in the actual store. You can also find IKEA products on Amazon and a handful of other third-party sellers, usually for a higher price.
Conclusion: Should I Buy an IKEA Mattress?
You should be very clear about your reasons for purchasing an IKEA mattress. You may want to buy an IKEA mattress if:
- Your budget doesn’t have room for an expensive mattress.
- You need a new sleep surface, but one for several years not forever.
- You don’t want to spend a ton of money for a guest mattress.
- You need something easy for a dorm room.
Those are all good reasons to find a mattress at one of the most popular home goods stores on this planet. Otherwise, you may want to invest in something more high quality.
AmazonBasics Mattress Models
Read our in-depth review of the Amazon mattresses where we cover their construction, pricing, and feel to see which model is best for you.