WinkBed vs. WinkBed Plus Comparison: Which Hybrid Bed Is Best For You?
Is the budget WinkBeds hybrid or the more firm WinkBeds Plus best for you? Keep reading to learn more about each mattress plus our recommendation for bed which is best for you
WinkBed vs. WinkBed Plus Overview
These two WinkBeds mattresses have a lot in common, but the biggest difference between them is that the WinkBed Plus has an extra layer of latex foam that changes the firmness and support of the bed. On the other hand, the original WinkBed has multiple firmness options.
|WinkBed is best for…
|WinkBed Plus is best for…
|Firm mattress fans
|Durable mattress shoppers
Watch our Comparison
Who Should Choose the WinkBed Mattress?
- Back sleepers—For back sleepers, it’s all about getting the best combination of lower back support and softness. This keeps the natural “S” curve of the spine aligned. In this comparison, the original WinkBed has the better choice for virtually all back sleepers.
- Lightweight sleepers—If you’re a lighter sleeper (under 130 lbs), you likely won’t need as much firmness, compared to a heavier sleeper, to feel supported. And, since the WinkBed Plus is one of the firmest hybrids out there, lighter sleepers will probably want to stick with the original WinkBed.
- Budget shoppers—It’s important to choose a bed that’s comfy for you and your wallet. For shoppers on a tighter budget, it’s worth noting that the original WinkBed is the more affordable option.
Who Should Choose the WinkBed Plus Mattress?
- Heavyweight sleepers—The WinkBed Plus is a thick, durable mattress with a super firm feel. This level of lift and support works best for heavyweight sleepers and stomach sleepers too. In fact, this bed is designed to support sleepers over 300 lbs.
- Firm mattress fans—The WinkBed Plus is one of the firmest beds on the market. So, whether you’re a diehard stomach sleeper, a heavyweight sleeper, or someone who loves a firmer mattress, the WinkBed Plus will likely meet your firmness needs.
- Durable mattress shoppers—Both of these WinkBeds are high-quality, durable hybrids; however, since the WinkBed Plus is specifically meant to support heavier sleepers, it’s a bit sturdier too.
WinkBed vs. WinkBed Plus: Top Similarities
- Temperature control—It’s no surprise that, since both of these WinkBeds have nearly identical constructions, they both feel about the same in terms of temperature. So, if you’re a hot sleeper, you can’t go wrong at all with either WinkBeds mattress.
- Edge support—Edge support is how solid, or supportive, a mattress is along its perimeter. This support can be important for seniors or any sleepers who like to sit or lie near the edge of their mattress. That said, between these two WinkBeds, sleepers of all sizes will get excellent support either way.
- Responsiveness—Responsive beds are bouncy and easy to move around on, ideal for combination sleepers who change sleeping positions in their sleep. If that sounds like you, rest assured that both of these WinkBeds should have your tossing and turning needs covered.
WinkBed vs. WinkBed Plus: Top Differences
- Price—While these two WinkBeds have plenty in common, it’s worth noting that the WinkBed Plus is more expensive than the original. For example, a Queen-size WinkBed Plus will cost about $300 more.
- Side sleeping—Side sleepers, especially those who are lighter, tend to sleep best on softer, more pressure-relieving beds. In this WinkBeds comparison, most side sleepers under 230 lbs will want to go with the much softer original WinkBed.
- Motion isolation—If you plan on sharing your mattress with a partner, quality motion isolation will keep you from feeling their every toss and turn through the bed. In this comparison, while neither WinkBed is ideal in this regard, the original WinkBed is a better choice for couples.
WinkBed vs. WinkBed Plus: Firmness & Feel Differences
We’ve covered the biggest similarities and differences between these two WinkBeds, so let’s go into more detail about how each of them feel.
What’s the Firmness Of the WinkBed & WinkBed Plus Mattresses?
Here in the Nerd Lab, we measure firmness on a scale of 1–10, where a “1” is softer than air and a “10” is the hardest. Between these two WinkBeds, we found that the Plus measures in at a solid 8/10, which is great for heavier sleepers in need of extra support, but not ideal for lightweight side sleepers.
On the other hand, the original WinkBed actually comes with three firmness options that you can choose from. First off is the “softer feel”, which is a 4/10 on our firmness scale, then the 6/10 “luxury firm”, and, finally, the “firmer” 7.5/10. In general, the average sleeper will gravitate toward the medium-firm option.
What Do the WinkBed & WinkBed Plus Mattresses Feel Like?
Since these two WinkBeds have similar constructions, they feel pretty similar too: they’re both lifted and responsive with a soft top layer. That said, depending on your firmness preference, you can make your original WinkBed more cushioning and “sinking” or more solid, like the WinkBed Plus.
What’s It Like to Sleep On the WinkBed & WinkBed Plus Mattresses?
Overall, if you’re a back sleeper, you should be able to get some winks on either of these beds, although the original WinkBeds is a little more softer. For stomach sleepers, the same is true, but the WinkBed Plus’s extra lift is definitely a plus. Finally, side sleepers will generally prefer the softer original WinkBed.
The WinkBed vs. WinkBed Plus Mattresses By Body Type
WinkBed Performance By Body Type & Sleeping Position:
|Lightweight (< 130 lbs):
|Average-weight (130–230 lbs):
|Heavyweight (> 230 lbs):
WinkBed Plus Performance By Body Type & Sleeping Position:
|Lightweight (< 130 lbs):
|Average-weight (130–230 lbs):
|Heavyweight (> 230 lbs):
1 = Very poor, 2 = Not good, 3 = Fair, 4 = Good, 5 = Excellent
Average-Weight Sleepers (130–230 lbs)
Good news, both of these WinkBeds hybrids are pretty friendly to average-weight sleepers. For back sleepers, either mattress is a winning choice, while average-weight stomach sleepers will likely have a slight preference toward the more solid WinkBed Plus. That said, the original WinkBed’s softness is a bit better for average-weight side sleepers.
Heavyweight Sleepers (> 230 lbs)
For heavyweight sleepers, more firmness and support is usually better. With that said, heavyweight stomach sleepers will sleep best on the WinkBed Plus, while heavier back sleepers and side sleepers should get plenty of support on either hybrid mattress.
Lightweight Sleepers (< 130 lbs)
Unlike heavyweight sleepers, lightweight sleepers need more pressure relief and less firmness. So, for lightweight side sleepers and back sleepers, the softer original WinkBed is the way to go. However, for lightweight stomach sleepers, you can’t go wrong; both beds are plenty firm.
Differences In Mattress Construction
When it comes to construction, these two WinkBeds hybrids have plenty in common. They’re both 13.5” tall, they both feature a TENCEL mattress cover, and they both have the same pocketed coil support system. The main difference between the Plus and the original is that the Plus has an additional support layer of firm latex foam that’s 2.5” thick.
|WinkBed Mattress Materials
|WinkBed Plus Mattress Materials
Regardless of which WinkBed you choose, the top layer of each mattress is a TENCEL mattress cover, made from eucalyptus fibers that have a cooling and breathable feel.
Next, both of these WinkBeds have quilted, gel-infused pillow tops for their comfort layers. This layer works by providing lumbar support for back sleepers while also drawing away body heat.
Finally, although both the WinkBed Plus and the original have a set of pocketed coils positioned above a high-density foam base, the WinkBed Plus also has a layer of firm latex foam. This extra layer makes the Plus a much firmer and more supportive bed overall.
WinkBed vs. WinkBed Plus Pricing
|WinkBed Plus Prices
For exclusive discounts on both beds see our WinkBed mattress coupons.
WinkBed vs. WinkBed Plus Mattress Performance Ratings & Differences
Hybrid mattresses are generally known for being cool and breathable. And, since the WinkBed Plus and original both have cooling foam over a well-ventilated pocketed-coil base, each mattress is a great choice for hot sleepers.
Having a mattress with good motion isolation can be a big deal for light sleepers who share a bed with someone who tosses and turns. If that sounds like you, then the WinkBed Plus is the way to go, thanks to its extra layer of latex foam.
Edge support is how well your bed can support you sitting or lying on its edge (without warping). In this comparison, it’s a close call since both of these hybrids have reinforced edges, but the more solid and firm WinkBed Plus is the winner here.
If you’re looking for a bed with outstanding pressure relief, it’s worth keeping in mind your preferred sleeping position and body type. For side sleepers, the original WinkBed has more give and pressure relief, but for back sleepers over 130 lbs, either bed is great.
For sleepers with aches and pains, the WinkBed Plus’s super firm feel might be too unforgiving and solid. However, with the original WinkBed, you can choose your own firmness level, making the softer original WinkBed a great choice for sleepers with hip pain.
If you’re looking for a mattress that’s built to last, you really can’t go wrong with either of these WinkBeds. They’re both thick, supportive, hybrid mattresses with reinforced edges. That said, the WinkBed Plus’s extra layer of firm latex foam does give it a slight edge in terms of durability.
Shipping, Returns, & Warranties
Regardless of whether you go Plus or original, you’ll be getting the same WinkBeds policies. That means you’ll get free shipping for your mattress to anywhere in the contiguous United States, and it’ll arrive as a bed-in-a-box at your doorstep.
After your new WinkBed has arrived, you’ll also get a 120-night sleep trial, during which you can return your mattress for a full refund. However, WinkBeds asks that you wait a month before making your return so that you can fully settle into your new bed.
If you do plan on keeping your WinkBed, you’ll then be entitled to a limited Lifetime warranty which protects your bed against any manufacturing defects and any indentations deeper than 1.5”.
Other Models Available
Our Final Take
The WinkBed and WinkBed Plus have plenty in common, but the Original is more affordable and comes with three firmness options. That said, the WinkBed Plus offers much more firmness, ideal for heavyweight sleepers. Next, both of these hybrid beds are cooling and responsive, but the Original is better for back sleepers, and the Plus is better for stomach sleepers.
WinkBed & WinkBed Plus FAQs
Do WinkBeds Sleep Hot?
No. Hybrid beds tend to sleeper cooler than foam mattresses, and the original WinkBed and the WinkBed Plus are no exception. In fact, both of these mattresses have comfort layers infused with cooling gel and a base layer of breathable pocketed coils that keep you ventilated and draw away heat.
Do I Need a Box Spring for My WinkBed?
Not necessarily. While you can use a box spring with any Winkbed mattress, it’s not required. However, it is recommended that you keep your WinkBed on a solid surface, such as a box spring, a platform, a bedframe, or solid floor. This is especially important for heavier sleepers.
Why Is the WinkBed So Thick?
The original WinkBed and the WinkBed Plus are both 13.5 inches tall, which is much thicker than the average mattress on the market. However, this extra height in each WinkBeds mattress, from latex foam and pocketed coils, provides much more support and more durability.