WinkBeds vs. WinkBeds Gravity Lux Comparison: Is the Foam or Hybrid WinkBeds Best For You?
Disclosure: By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Nerd may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Not sure whether the hybrid WinkBed or the all-foam WinkBeds Gravity Lux is best for you? Read on to learn more about each mattress plus their pros and cons.
FirmnessMultiple firmness options
ProductWinkBeds GravityLux Mattress
FirmnessMultiple firmness options
WinkBeds vs. WinkBeds Gravity Lux Overview
Both the WinkBed and the Gravity Lux are made by the same company, and they both come with various firmness customizations, but the original WinkBed is a hybrid mattress, while the Gravity Lux is all-foam. Overall, the hybrid WinkBed offers more support and firmness, while the foam Gravity Lux is a better fit for sleepers wanting more pressure relief and softness.
|WinkBeds is best for…||WinkBeds Gravity Lux is best for…|
|Seniors||Sleepers needing pressure relief|
|Heavyweight and stomach sleepers||Lightweight sides sleepers|
Who Should Choose the WinkBeds Mattress?
- Hot sleepers—Although the hybrid WinkBeds mattress is actually thicker, this bed’s layers of individually wrapped steel coils allows for better ventilation and cooling than the all-foam GravityLux.
- Seniors—In addition to cooling, hybrid beds are known for being sturdier, especially around their edges. And, the WinkBed is no different. For seniors or anyone who likes extra stability on the perimeter of their bed, this hybrid mattress is the way to go.
- Heavyweight sleepers—While both of these WinkBeds mattresses offer different firmness options, the hybrid WinkBed is overall more supportive, a huge bonus for heavyweight sleepers and stomach sleepers too.
Who Should Choose the WinkBeds Gravity Lux Mattress?
- Couples—A big benefit of foam mattresses is that they absorb unwanted movement and sound better than hybrids do. So, if you’re a light sleeper or if you’re sharing your WinkBeds mattress with a restless sleeper, the Gravity Lux may help you sleep better through the night.
- Sleepers needing pressure relief—It’s not a secret that all-foam beds are soft and spongy. If you’re a lightweight sleeper or a sleeper who prefers extra pressure relief on your back or side, the Gravity Lux may be the way to go.
- Lightweight side sleepers—Lightweight side sleepers tend to need the most cushioning out of any sleeper type. For this reason, going with the all-foam Gravity Lux is a great way to get ample softness and sink.
WinkBeds vs. WinkBeds Gravity Lux: Top Similarities
- Price—There’s a lot of reasons to go with either the WinkBed or the Gravity Lux, but price may not be one of them for you. This is because, regardless of which size bed you’re shopping for, you can expect only a price difference of about $100, with the hybrid being slightly cheaper.
- Lighter back sleepers—Different kinds of sleepers respond differently to hybrid or all-foam beds. However, in this comparison, lightweight back sleepers will have their needs met with either bed. This is because both mattresses offer an ideal balance of lower back support and softness.
- Customizations—If you’re picky about your bed’s firmness, we have good news. Both WinkBeds come with a variety of firmness customizations, ranging from soft to firm.
WinkBeds vs. WinkBeds Gravity Lux: Top Differences
- Temperature control—Hybrid beds allow for more airflow and don’t “hug” to your body as much while you sleep. As a result, they tend to be cooler than foam beds. In this comparison, the same is true as well.
- Edge support—For sleepers wanting a solid perimeter for their bed, the hybrid WinkBed can’t be beat with its reinforced edges and individually wrapped pocketed coils.
- Stomach sleeping—Stomach sleepers tend to need the most firmness and lift out of any sleeper group. This is because sagging hips lead to lower back pain. With this in mind, the more firm hybrid WinkBed is the clear choice here.
WinkBeds vs. WinkBeds Gravity Lux: Firmness & Feel Differences
We’ve hit the major similarities and differences between these two WinkBeds mattresses, but let’s now go into more detail about how they actually feel.
What’s the Firmness Of the WinkBeds & WinkBeds Gravity Lux Mattresses?
At Mattress Nerd, we like to measure firmness on a simple scale of 1–10, where a 1 is like zero gravity and a 10 is harder than bricks. With this scale in mind, both beds in today’s comparison actually have several different firmness options. Let’s start with the WinkBed OG mattress.
This bed features four different firmness levels which are 4/10, 6/10, 7.5/10, and 8/10. Respectively, these would measure in as soft, luxury-firm, firmer, and plus on our firmness scale. On the other hand, the WinkBeds Gravity Lux offers three different firmness levels: 4/10, 5.5/10, and 7/10, which are soft, medium, and firm.
What Do the WinkBeds & WinkBeds Gravity Lux Mattresses Feel Like?
As you might expect from an all-foam and a hybrid bed, the hybrid WinkBed mattress has a more lifted and solid feel, plus it’s more breathable and cooling. On the other hand, the Gravity Lux is softer and has less bounce and lift. That said, the Gravity Lux is still more responsive and firm than the average foam bed.
What’s It Like to Sleep On the WinkBeds & WinkBeds Gravity Lux Mattresses?
Overall, back sleepers will get solid support and cushioning on either bed, but heavyweight sleepers in general will prefer the original WinkBed. For lightweight side sleepers who need the most cushioning, however, the WinkBeds Gravity Lux does offer the most softness.
The WinkBeds vs. WinkBeds Gravity Lux Mattresses By Body Type
The WinkBed Performance By Body Type & Sleeping Position:
|Body Type:||BACK SLEEPERS||STOMACH SLEEPERS||SIDE SLEEPERS|
|Lightweight (< 130 lbs):||5||5||4|
|Average-weight (130–230 lbs):||5||4||5|
|Heavyweight (> 230 lbs):||5||4||5|
WinkBed Gravity Lux Performance By Body Type & Sleeping Position:
|Body Type:||BACK SLEEPERS||STOMACH SLEEPERS||SIDE SLEEPERS|
|Lightweight (< 130 lbs):||5||2||5|
|Average-weight (130–230 lbs):||5||2||5|
|Heavyweight (> 230 lbs):||3||1||3|
1 = Very poor, 2 = Not good, 3 = Fair, 4 = Good, 5 = Excellent
Average-Weight Sleepers (130–230 lbs)
For average-weight back sleepers and side sleepers, either bed is a great choice, and, although they feel different, there’s enough support regardless of which you choose. However, for stomach sleepers who need more firmness, the Gravity Lux falls severely short in this area, making the hybrid WinkBed the better choice.
Heavyweight Sleepers (> 230 lbs)
Heavyweight sleepers tend to need more support and firmness. With that in mind, the all-foam WinkBeds Gravity Lux underdelivers here. So, regardless of whether someone is a back sleepers, stomach sleeper, or side sleeper, the WinkBed Original is the better choice in terms of support.
Lightweight Sleepers (< 130 lbs)
Lastly, lightweight back sleepers will be able to sleep great on either the WinkBed or the Gravity Lux; however, even lightweight stomach sleepers will find the Gravity Lux much too soft. And, finally, for lightweight side sleepers, it’s a close matchup, but the Gravity Lux actually offers better pressure relief here.
Differences In Mattress Construction
Between these two WinkBeds mattresses, the hybrid is 13.5” tall and features a foam layer and mattress top on a set of individually wrapped pocketed coils. For the WinkBeds Gravity Lux, which is made of foam, this bed stands at a smaller 11” and features several layers of comfort and support foam on a high-density foam base.
|WinkBeds Mattress Materials||WinkBeds Gravity Lux Mattress Materials|
|Tencel mattress cover||Tencel mattress cover|
|Euro-pillow top with gel infused foam||Cooling memory foam|
|Pocketed coils||Foam transition layer|
|High-density foam base|
Both of these WinkBed mattresses include a mattress cover that’s made from Tencel, an organic fabric that’s created from processed eucalyptus trees. This gives both mattresses a breathable and cooling top layer.
Moving on, the comfort layers are where these two beds differ. While the WinkBed has a Euro-pillow top in addition to gel infused foam, the Gravity Lux only has cooling foam. As a result, the hybrid is more breathable here.
Next, the WinkBed has a layer of individually wrapped pocketed coils that allow for more bounce and ventilation. On the other hand, the Gravity Lux has a foam transition layer that absorbs movement and is situated on a base of firm polyfoam.
WinkBeds vs. WinkBeds Gravity Lux Pricing
|Size||WinkBeds Prices||WinkBeds Gravity Lux Prices|
For exclusive discounts on both beds see our WinkBeds mattress coupons.
WinkBeds vs. WinkBeds Gravity Lux Mattress Performance Ratings & Differences
Hybrid mattresses tend to keep you from sinking down into your bed, and they provide ventilation through their pocketed coils. For this reason, they tend to be among the best cooling mattresses. So, if you’re a hot sleeper, we strongly recommend the WinkBed hybrid over the Gravity Lux.
The best mattresses for couples reduce motion transfer, or how much unwanted movement travels through the mattress. And, since foam is a very muffling material, the Gravity Lux has better motion isolation compared to the WinkBed.
Mattresses with better edge support can hold more weight along their edges without sagging. In this case, the WinkBed hybrid not only has a base layer of pocketed coils, but also reinforced edges. So, if you’re looking for a more solid bed, the hybrid is the way to go.
If you’re looking for a mattress with great pressure relief, it’s important to know what kind of sleeper you are. In this comparison, back sleepers may find the hybrid WinkBed mattress to have better lower back relief, while lightweight side sleepers may prefer the Gravity Lux for hip and shoulder relief.
Like with pressure, the best mattresses for pain relief depend on the sleeper. If you’re a heavier sleeper, you’ll more likely get the support you need on the hybrid WinkBed, while lightweight sleepers may get more relief on the softer Gravity Lux.
As a general rule, foam beds tend to have a shorter lifespan than hybrid beds because they warp and sag more easily. So, while you’ll be getting the same warranty with either bed, the hybrid WinkBed will likely last you past the average seven year lifespan of a mattress.
Shipping, Returns, & Warranties
Once you’ve purchased either WinkBeds mattress, you can expect it to arrive at your doorstep as a compressed bed-in-a-box about two weeks after you’ve placed the order. And, if you live in the continental United States, you’ll receive free shipping too.
After it’s arrived, you’ll have a 120-night sleep trial during which you can test your bed and return it for free for any reason. However, WinkBeds does ask that you wait at least a month before returning it, so that your body can fully adjust. But, if you still want to keep your bed after this trial period, you’ll then be entitled to a limited Lifetime warranty that protects against any manufacturing defects.
Other Models Available
ProductWinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress
ProductWinkBed Plus Mattress
Our Final Take
Between the WinkBed and the Gravity Lux, it comes down to whether you prefer more solid and cooling hybrid beds or softer, more motion isolating foam beds. Plus, the hybrid mattress is more durable, with better edge support. But, the all-foam Gravity Lux is better for lightweight side sleepers.
WinkBeds & WinkBeds Gravity Lux FAQs
Do You Rotate WinkBeds Mattress?
Yes. If you want to maximize the lifespan of your mattress, WinkBeds recommends that you rotate your bed 180 degrees every two weeks for the first three months that you own it. This helps ensure that the bed’s foam receives an even distribution of weight.
Do WinkBeds Mattresses Require Deep Pocket Sheets?
This depends on which WinkBeds mattress you own. If you choose the WinkBeds hybrid which is 13.5” tall, you may want to invest in deep pocket sheets especially if you’re combining it with a mattress pad. However, for the 11” Gravity Lux, you may not need deeper sheets.
Are WinkBeds Mattresses Toxic?
No. WinkBeds mattresses have several health and environmental certifications, and include low volatile organic compounds. For example, they are CertiPUR-US-certified against having any harmful chemicals in their foam, plus the bed’s natural latex is OEKO-TEX-certified. Finally, the hybrid WinkBed uses recycled steel in its springs.