Sealy Mattress Review & Comparisons
You hear “Sealy” and automatically you understand the company knows a thing or two about mattresses. If a great track record dating back to 1881 impresses you, go straight to a mattress giant—Sealy.
Sealy is always in the process of refining their mattress designs. Every year they deliver a tweak to upgrade previous styles. They don’t rest on past success, and they are continually improving their mattresses. Now with three collections—the Response, Conform and Hybrid collections—Sealy has a bed for everyone.
The collections feature innerspring, full memory foam and hybrid models, with your choice of firmness level. Sealy also offers each mattress line with increasing levels of luxury (Essentials, Performance and Premium) and correspondingly higher prices. The performance and premium lines feature Sealy Posturepedic technology. All of the Sealy Posturepedic mattresses show Sealy’s concern for providing a good night’s sleep for any type of sleeper and a variety of shoppers. If you are looking for other mattress brands with many options, see the best customizable mattresses.
With all Sealy collections, you have so many options to address your specific needs, such as sleep position, firmness preference and budget. In this mattress review, we will help you decide which Sealy mattress is right for you!
- Type: Mostly innerspring, with some foam right at the top. This bed comes in all six sizes and in four firmness options—ultra-firm, firm, cushion firm and plush. It also comes in three price levels that raise the luxury level and expense from step to step.
- Price Range:
- Essentials $349 to $799
- Performance $499 to $1049
- Premium $1249 to $1799
- Best for: Anyone who wants the durability of an innerspring support layer. The mattress will last. It’s also a better option for heavier people as well. Hence the tagline, “Support that holds you.” For other supportive mattresses, see the best mattress for heavy people.
- Type: This memory foam mattress comes in five sizes (starting with Twin Long) and in four firmness options—firm, cushion firm, plush, ultra-plush. It also comes in three price levels.
- Price Range:
- Essentials $449 to $1199
- Performance $1074 to $2099
- Premium $1249 to $1799
- Best for: Anyone who needs more contouring for wide-body parts like hips and shoulders. Also great for people with experience sleeping on memory foam, and anyone who isn’t scared of the price tag. Tagline: “Support that hugs you.” If you are looking to sink into your mattress layers, see the best memory foam mattresses.
- Type: A combination of coils and foam, this bed is available in five sizes (starting with Twin Long) and in four firmness options—firm, cushion firm, plush and ultra-plush. Hybrids are always great options regardless of sleep position. There’s something for everyone here. These mattresses also come in three price levels
- Price Range:
- Essentials $999 to $1599
- Performance $1474 to $2099
- Premium $1974 to $2999
- Best For: Anyone who wants the best of both worlds with a foam/coil hybrid. More durable than a memory foam–only bed; more conforming to the body than an innerspring-only. Tagline: “Support that hugs and holds you.” Yes, have your cake and eat it, too—then take a nice long nap.
Which Model Is Best for Me?
The Response Line Might Be Good For You If….
- You need more support than contouring for your body, like back sleepers
- You are on the heavier side
The Conform Line Might Be Good For You If….
- You are a side sleeper
- You have back pain
The Hybrid Line Might Be Good For You If….
- You are a combination or stomach sleeper, given both foam and coils for added support
- You have back pain, as the foam will relieve some pressure points
Side Sleepers usually do well with memory foam mattresses like those in the Conform category since the memory foam layers curve most comfortably around the hips and shoulders. But you still need support. While lighter sleepers will likely be fine with the Conform line, heavier side sleepers may like the hybrids in the Sealy stable more, because of the coil support layer alongside the comfort foam layer. For more mattresses that provide pressure relief, see the best mattresses for side sleepers.
Back Sleepers will do well on any type of Sealy bed or any type of firm mattress that gives good back support depending on their comfort level. These beds all have zoned support, meaning heavier areas have more support and lighter areas have gentle support. The innerspring is the dominant feature in the Response category. There is some foam at the top, as well as in the hybrids, which are usually well-suited for back sleepers. If you fear you may sink too far into a memory foam mattress, just steer clear of the Conform collection, which carries the all-foam versions or check out the best mattress for back sleepers.
Stomach Sleepers have the biggest challenge when it comes to finding the right mattress to adapt to their sleep position. Sleeping on your stomach is the most unnatural of all the positions, and even a great mattress can’t necessarily prevent the aches and pains you may get from sleeping on your stomach. It’s specifically an unnatural position for your spine, and the goal is to keep your spine aligned when you sleep. Also, stomach sleepers need contouring around the tummy—which a more plush mattress can provide—as well as some elevation for the head and neck, and support along the hips. It’s a tall order best handled by a Sealy Posturepedic Hybrid, which has contouring with memory foam at the top and the tried-and-true support of coils in the support layer. For more options, check out the best mattress for stomach sleepers.
- Mattress brand reputation
- Quality materials
- Choice—three different designs, several firmness levels, three price ranges for each category
- CertiPUR-US Certified foams
- Reinforced center (where most of your weight falls) on all mattresses
- Thick profile
- Heavy, not easy to move
- Twin 38” W X 74” L
- Twin Long 38” W X 79” L
- Full 53” W X 74” L
- Queen 60” W X 79” L
- King 76” W X 79” L
- CA King 72” W X 83” L
RESPONSE LINE PRICING
CONFORM LINE PRICING
HYBRID LINE PRICING
Response Line Construction
|Response Essential||Innerspring w/ foam||Cushion Firm||11”|
|Response Performance||Innerspring w/ foam||Cushion Firm||12.5”|
|Response Premium||Innerspring w/ foam||Ultra Firm||12”|
|Pillowtop Cushion Firm||16”|
Conform Line Construction
|Conform Essential||Memory Foam||Firm||9”|
|Conform Performance||Memory Foam||Firm||10”|
|Conform Premium||Memory Foam||Cushion Firm||12”|
Hybrid Line Construction
|Hybrid Essential||Foam & Coils||Cushion Firm||12”|
|Hybrid Performance||Foam & Coils||Plush||13.5”|
|Hybrid Premium||Foam & Coils||Firm||14”|
Breakdown of layers
All three Sealy collections have several firmness choices at each price level in the line—Essential collection (good), Performance collection (better) and Premium collection (best). Each mattress within each collection is constructed differently, so let’s take a look at each collection.
- The Essential option has a stretch-knit cover.
- The Performance option cover is made of ComfortLoft™ material, which means the fabric yarns are woven to give a little more lift than a flat fabric. It also adds MoistureProtect™ to the cover fabric to help draw moisture away from your body as you sleep.
- The Premium uses a plusher SupremeLoft™ cover that includes both MoistureProtect™ and AllerganProtect™ additives that draw away moisture and keep allergens at bay.
- The Essential options have SealyCushion™ Air Foam (cut through with peaks and valleys so air can flow through and carry heat away) right underneath the cover.
- In the memory foam Performance options in the Response collection, the next two layers are 2 inches of SealyCushion™ Air Foam and 3 inches of SealySupport™ firm foam.
- In the Response Premium category, the comfort foam layers are 2 inches of SealyCushion™ AirFoam and 3 inches of the SealyChill™ Gel Memory Foam. Keep in mind you’ll find a more plush feel with a gel that will help dissipate heat.
- All three categories in the Sealy Response line have a 6″ layer of coils known as the Sealy Duraflex™ Coil Edge System. The coils give the mattress strong edge support and prolong the life of the mattress.
Other features in the Response mattress set:
- The Essential mattresses also have a wedge of foam around the outside of the mattress so you can use the bed from edge to edge.
- The Performance mattresses also add the Sealy Posturepedic technology, which reinforces the middle of the mattress where you carry most of your weight.
- The Premium also features the Posturepedic technology and a higher density coil system that strongly reinforces the mattress edges so they don’t collapse if you sit or sleep on them. For other responsive mattresses, see the best mattress for combination sleepers.
- In the Essential options, the cover is made of a stretchy ComfortLoft™ cover, which includes fabric spun in a way so the fabric isn’t super flat. There’s some cushioning there.
- In the Performance options, the cover is made of the same sort of loft material as above but infused with MoistureProtect™ feature that helps wick away moisture as you sleep.
- In the Premium options, you get the same cover, only with the Chill™ technology to help sleepers who find memory foam too hot.
- The Essential options have Comfortsense™ Foam on the top layer to curve around your body.
- The Performance and Premium options have Comfortsense™ Foam at the top to curve around your body, then a layer of ComfortSense™ Gel Memory Foam with material that will keep you cool.
- At the base of all the memory foam mattresses in the Conform line, Sealy puts a firm, high-density foam they call SealySupport™ Gel Base Foam. It’s the slab that gives the whole mattress a strong base.
Other features in the Response mattresses
- The Performance and Premium mattresses also add the Posturepedic technology, which reinforces the middle of the mattress where you carry most of your weight.
- In the Essential options, the cover is made of an ultra-stretch knit fabric with added Moisture Protect™. This material helps moisture evaporate.
- In the Performance options, the cover has a higher loft (i.e. thickness) infused with the Moisture Protect™.
- In the Premium options, the cover is also made of a stretchy high-loft fabric with DuoChill™ technology, an enhanced way to keep the surface cool, and Allergen Protect™ to limit allergens.
- The Essential options use Sealy ComfortSense™ Gel Foam that features cooling technology and conforms to each body’s shape.
- The Performance and Premium options use Sealy Immersion™ Advanced Memory Foam that responds slower and conforms around you, thanks to its open-cell structure. It keeps that layer breathable. It also uses Chill™ technology, again for cooling. If you are a hot sleeper, check out the best cooling mattresses.
- The Essential mattresses here get a layer of Sealy Response Pro™ coils that are wrapped individually.
- The Performance and Premium mattresses get the newer Response Pro Zoned HD™ encased coils. These are barrel-shaped and move independently. That helps target the areas where you need support and reduces all the jostling when partners move or get out of bed.
Other features in the Hybrid mattresses:
- The Performance and Premium options all come with the Posturepedic Technology that packs in 20 percent more coils around the middle of the mattress, where you carry most of your weight and need the most support.
- Also, all of the mattresses have a coil layer around the edge that strengthens the edges for couples and anyone who sits a lot on the edge of their bed. This layer also minimizes motion transfer and creates a better mattress for couples.
Historically, Sealy has lacked a “budget option,” but they now have an “Essentials” version of each collection. Per usual, different mattress retailers have different names for the same mattress. This can make it difficult to find the best mattress for the best price. In this guide, we compare these Sealy mattresses between retailers. Whether you saw a mattress in a store and want to find a lower price online, or saw a mattress online and want to try it in a store first, this chart can help.
Since these are lower-end mattresses, I don’t recommend them for every night use for the next 10 years (except maybe the higher-end pillowtop one). These are best for temporary use (three to five years) or for guest rooms. As always, I recommend going into a showroom and trying out the mattress before purchasing. For greater detail on how to select the proper mattress, visit our mattress buying guide.
Sealy Essentials Comparison Chart
Style 1800 Mattress and Sleepy's US-Mattress.com Target
Basic foam Emmett Creek Firm Bale Firm -
Innerspring Brookwater Firm - Overcrest Firm
Watertrace Plush Seward Plush Overcrest Plush
- - -
- Sarin Eurotop Madison Cafe Plush EPT
Norewood Firm - -
Poplar Springs Plush Euro Pillowtop - Sand Cove Plush Euro Pillowtop
As you may have noticed, it’s difficult to comparison shop for mattresses between retailers because they often have different names for what seems to be the same exact mattress. Sealy mattresses from past years are sold alongside the current options, so it can become overwhelming. Some retailers will claim their mattress is “exclusive,” or their model has some feature that nobody else has that makes it different. How then will you take advantage of the price match guarantees that so many places offer? We’re here to help!
Sealy has a few different lineups. In the past, they had the “Sealy brand” lineup and then the “Posturepedic” lineup. This year, they seem to be moving away from that. Now the mattresses are all “Sealy,” but the higher-end ones (in the Performance and Premier collections) state “with Posturepedic technology.”
This chart outlines some Sealy mattresses sold under different names.
Comparison to last year’s models
If you’re comparing to models that came out more than five years ago, keep a few things in mind.
- The Essentials collection was what they used to call “Sealy Brand” or the “Non-Posturepedic” Sealys.
- The Performance collection is roughly equivalent in quality to the previous year’s “Posturepedic Plus” lineup.
- The Premium collection is replacing the “Posturepedic Select” lineup from before.
They also recently changed the coil system in the mattresses. They’re using more coils than before, but they’re shaped differently, so it’s not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison.
Sealy Trial Period
Sealy mattresses come with a 100-night trial. Sealy asks that you sleep on the mattress for at least 30 nights before deciding whether to return it. If after 30 days and before 100 days you decide it really doesn’t work for you, call Sealy to work with you to find a different mattress that might work better, and/or start the return process. They’ll help you figure out where to donate or how to recycle or dispose of the mattress. You’ll receive a full refund within one to two business days.
Sealy Mattress Warranty
Sealy mattresses thicker than 8 inches come with a 10-year warranty. It applies to the original mattress owner only. You need to use a firm, solid foundation, one that can hold you and the mattress, to stay compliant with the warranty. The limited warranty doesn’t cover normal wear and tear, a change in firmness preference, damages you caused, or damage you allowed by using the wrong frame or foundation. It does cover manufacturing defects and indentations deeper than 1 inch.
Shipping and Delivery
Your Sealy should arrive between five to seven days. Standard shipping is free. You can pay an extra bit, depending on the weight of the mattress and where you live, for expedited shipping. Sealy doesn’t ship outside of the United States.
You can buy Sealy mattresses on the Sealy website, and you can find them in retail stores from one end of this country to the other. Use this locator application on Sealy.com. You can also buy Sealy beds online at US-Mattress.
Honestly, one of the great things about diving into the Sealy mattress pool is finding so many options to explore. You can shop strictly by price level, firmness level or mattress thickness. You can choose by mattress style, by materials and by innovation. When you have been in business since 1881, you know how to impress customers in so many ways. It is part of Sealy’s charm.
But often these choices come with different names depending on where you’re shopping. I’ve given you a look at what is available at Sealy.com. If you’re going elsewhere, only you can say whether you have the patience to sort it out. Plus, some customers are concerned about how long both affordable and higher-scale options hold up over time. Overall, the Response (mostly innerspring mattresses), Conform (memory foam) and Hybrid (foam/coils) collections are thoughtfully designed, with price levels ranging from affordable to luxury options.
Discontinued Sealy Posturpedic Models
|Model||US-Mattress||Sleepy's||1800 Mattress||Macy's||Mattress Firm|
|L1 Firm||Inland Greens Firm||Alpenglow firm||Classic Cushion Firm||-||Laurinburg|
|L1 Eurotop||Inland Greens Plush Eurotop||-||-||-||-|
|L2 Firm||Webster City Firm||-||-||-||-|
|L2 Cushion Firm||Webster City Cushion Firm||-||-||Colebrook Cushion Firm||Crystal City Firm|
|L2 Plush||Webster City Plush||-||-||-||Diamond Bar Plush|
|L2 Plush Eurotop||Webster City Plush Eurotop||-||-||-||Crystal City Pillow Top|
|L2 Firm Eurotop||Webster City Cushion FIrm Eurotop||-||-||-||-|
|L3 Ultra Firm||Santa Paula Ultra Firm||-||-||-||-|
|L3 Firm||Santa Paula Firm||Santa Ana Cushion Firm||Classic Firm||-||-|
|L3 Cushion Firm||Santa Paula Cushion Firm||-||-||-||-|
|L3 Plush||Santa Paula Plush||Santa Ana Plush||Classic Series Plush||-||-|
|L3 Plush Eurotop||Santa Paula Plush Eurotop||-||-||-||-|
|L3 Firm Eurotop||Santa Paula Cushion Firm Eurotop||Santa Ana Firm Eurotop||Classic Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop||-||-|
|L1 Firm||Cooper Mountain Firm||-||-||-||-|
|L1 Cushion Firm||Cooper Mountain Cushion Firm||-||-||Bay Lane Cushion Firm||Lakehurst Cushion Firm|
|L1 Plush||Cooper Mountain Plush||-||-||Bay Lane Plush||Lakehurst Plush|
|L1 Firm Eurotop||Cooper Mountain Cushion Firm Eurotop||-||-||Bay Lane Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop||-|
|L1 Plush Eurotop||Cooper Mountain Plush Eurotop||-||-||Bay Lane Plush Euro Pillowtop||Lakehurst Plush Pillowtop|
|L2 Firm||Archer Glen Firm||-||-||-||-|
|L2 Cushion Firm||Archer Glen Cushion Firm||-||-||-||-|
|L2 Plush||Archer Glen Plush||-||-||-||-|
|L2 Firm Eurotop||Archer Glen Cushion Firm Eurotop||-||-||-||-|
|L2 Plush Eurotop||Archer Glen Plush Eurotop||-||-||-||-|
|L3 Ultra Firm||Warrenville Ultra Firm||-||-||Larkin Lane Ultra Firm||-|
|L3 Firm||Warrenville Firm||-||-||-||-|
|L3 Cushion Firm||Warrenville Cushion Firm||Port Cartier Luxury Firm||Apex Series Luxury Firm||-||-|
|L3 Plush||Warrenville Plush||Port Cartier Luxury Plush||Apex Series Luxury Plush||-||-|
|L3 Firm Eurotop||Warrenville Firm Eurotop||-||-||Larkin Lane Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop||-|
|L3 Plush Eurotop||Warrenville Plush Eurotop||-||-||Larkin Lane Plush Euro Pillowtop||-|
Sealy Posturepedic 2016 Comparison Guide
|US Mattress||Sears||Mattress Firm||Macy's||Costco|
|638 Classic Coils||Inland Greens||-||Ashlin Firm||Kirby Hill Firm||-|
|Posturepedic 704 Coils||Santa Paula Firm||-||Caversham Firm||-||-|
|Santa Paula Plush||-||-||-||-|
|Paula Firm Eurotop||-||-||Clearbrook Cushion Firm Eurotop||-|
|Santa Paula Plush Eurotop||-||Caversham Eurotop||-||-|
|Cooper Mountain Firm||-||-||-||Aldercrest Firm|
|Cooper Mountain Cushion Firm||Chargrove Cushion Firm||-||Grant Park Cushion Firm||-|
|Cooper Mountain Plush||Chargrove Plush||Chaleigh Plush||Grant Park Plush||-|
|Cooper Mountain Cushion Firm Eurotop||Chargrove Cushion Firm Pillowtop||-||Grant Park Cushion Firm Pillowtop||-|
|Cooper Mountain Plush Eurotop||Chargrove Plush Pillowtop||-||Grant Park Plush Pillowtop||Aldercrest Plush Eurotop|
|Posturepedic Plus (825 coils)||Archer Glen Firm||Hearst Firm||-||-||-|
|Archer Glen Cushion Firm||-||Deveraux Cushion Firm||-||-|
|Archer Glen Plush||-||-||-||-|
|Archer Glen Cushion Firm Eurotop||-||-||-||Meadowdale Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop|
|Archer Glen Plush Eurotop||-||Deveraux Plush Pillowtop||-||Meadowdale Plush Euro Pillowtop|
|Warrenville Ultra Firm||Leola Ultra Firm||-||Market Street Ultra Firm||-|
|Warrenville Firm||Leola Firm||-||Knotty Pines Firm||-|
|Warrenville Cushion Firm||Leola Cushion Firm||-||-||Ashton Cushion Firm|
|Warrenville Plush||-||-||Market Street Plush||-|
|Warrenville Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop||Leola Cushion Firm Pillowtop||-||Knotty Pines Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop||-|
|Warrenville Plush Euro Pillowtop||-||-||Knotty Pines Plush Euro Pillowtop||-|
|Barrett Court Cushion Firm||Glenborough Cushion Firm||Sedgebrooke Cushion Firm||-||-|
|Barrett Court Plush||-||-||-||-|
|Barrett Court Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop||Glenborough Cushion Firm Pillowtop||-||-||Charter Pointe Cushion Firm Euro Pillowtop|
|Barrett Court Plush Euro Pillowtop||-||Sedgebrooke Plush Pillowtop||-||-|
Saatva Classic Mattress Review
Saatva is one of the first direct-to-consumer online mattress companies. The Saatva mattress is a little different from the other “mattress-in-a-box” companies out there, because this one doesn’t come in a box at all. It’s a regular innerspring mattress delivered to your door by delivery professionals.
Beautyrest Hybrid Mattress ReviewOur Verdict: BeautyRest’s Hybrid mattress is medium-firm which can accommodate sleepers of many different types. BeautyRest’s construction of three foam layers and a coil layer helps to relieve pressure on areas of tension and add more support and durability to the mattress. The BeautyRest mattress’s foam contouring helps sleepers find their ideal sleeping position, and […]
Best Mattress Guides
Best Mattresses of 2022Mattress Nerd consulted Dr. Alaina Rajagopal to ensure that this article met our editorial standards Finding the best mattress can be an overwhelming process. Shoppers often find themselves in analysis paralysis due to the sheer number of mattress brands, styles, and price points available. Not to mention, the advent of the Internet has further broadened the selection […]
- Which Model Is Best for Me?
- Best Sealy Mattress by Sleeping Position
- Pros and Cons of Sealy Mattresses
- Sealy Mattress Pricing & Specs
- Sealy Mattress Construction
- Breakdown of layers
- Sealy Essentials
- Sealy Essentials Comparison Chart
- Comparison Shopping
- Sealy Comparison Chart
- The Sealy Buying Experience
- Discontinued Sealy Posturpedic Models
- Sealy Posturepedic 2016 Comparison Guide