WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig Mattress Comparison
Disclosure: By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Nerd may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
The WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig are both hybrid mattresses designed to support heavier sleepers. However, each bed has its pros and cons. Read on to learn more about which hybrid bed is best for you.
ProductWinkBed Plus Mattress
ProductBig Fig Mattress
WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig Overview
The WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig are hybrid beds with firm feels and supportive designs; however, the Big Fig is a bit softer. That said, the WinkBed Plus is actually a better choice for sleepers wanting more cushioning and pressure relief. Still, the Big Fig is a more responsive bed overall.
|WinkBed Plus is best for…||Big Fig is best for…|
|Side sleepers||Combination sleepers|
Who Should Choose the WinkBed Plus Mattress?
- Side sleepers—Side sleepers are all about pressure relief, especially on their hips and shoulders. And, although the WinkBed Plus is super firm, its nearly fourteen inches of cushioning makes this bed plenty supportive and relieving. Overall, this mattress is pretty ideal for most side sleepers over 130 lbs.
- Hot sleepers—Ultimately, if you’re a hot sleeper, you really can’t go wrong with either of these hybrid beds. They both feature layers of breathable latex and individually-wrapped pocketed coils at their bases. However, the WinkBed Plus is a slightly cooler mattress overall.
- Back sleepers—For back sleepers, it’s crucial to get a good balance of support and softness. Although the WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig are both solid mattresses for back sleepers of any size, the WinkBed’s more supportive feel gives it a slight edge for average-weight back sleepers.
Who Should Choose the Big Fig Mattress?
- Combination sleepers—Combination sleepers are all about responsiveness, how well you can move around on a bed, since they change sleeping positions all through the night. And, in this comparison, though it’s a close call, the Big Fig comes out just a bit bouncier than the WinkBed Plus.
- Couples—Next up, on the other side of the coin are light sleepers and couples. For them, a quieter bed can mean a better night’s sleep than a super bouncy one. This is because of motion isolation, which can be a big deal for anyone sharing a bed with someone who tosses and turns. Again, the Big Fig comes out on top here.
- Seniors—Finally, for seniors or any sleepers who prefer the extra mobility provided by firm mattresses edges, the Big Fig does offer stronger edge support. The biggest difference between these two hybrid beds, in this area, is that the Big Fig includes multiple layers of high-density polyfoam as support.
WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig Mattress Video Comparison
Want to see for yourself how each of these hybrid mattresses performs? Join Loren and Becca in the Nerd Lab to learn more:
WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig: Top Similarities
- Price—It’s always important to find a mattress that’s a good fit for you and your wallet too. If you’re shopping with a budget, it’s worth noting that both of these beds are very similarly priced. For a Queen size, the WinkBed costs about $2000, and the Big Fig costs about $1900.
- Stomach sleeping—Stomach sleepers really win either way when it comes to this comparison. Regardless of whether you’re a lightweight, average-weight, or heavier stomach sleeper, you’ll be able to get ideal firmness and support on either the WinkBed Plus or the Big Fig.
- Construction—Each of these hybrid beds have their own pros and cons, but they also have similar constructions. Regardless of whether you go WinkBed Plus or Big Fig, you’re getting a thick, hybrid mattress made from firm and cooling materials.
WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig: Top Differences
- Policies—The WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig may be similarly priced, but that doesn’t mean they have the same policies. The biggest difference in this regard is that the WinkBed Plus comes with a Lifetime warranty, whereas the Big Fig only offers a 20-year warranty.
- Side sleeping—Back sleepers and stomach sleepers can more or less go with either the WinkBed Plus or the Big Fig, but side sleepers will generally prefer the WinkBed Plus overall. For side sleepers, getting pressure relief is especially important, and the WinkBed Plus’s thicker design offers more relief for side sleepers of all sizes.
- Temperature control—Finally, the WinkBed Plus is a cooler mattress than the Big Fig, although both beds should be plenty cool for the average sleeper. This difference in temperature performance is because the WinkBed Plus uses naturally cooling TENCEL fabric for its mattress cover.
WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig: Firmness & Feel Differences
That’s the pros and cons of each bed, but what about the actual feel of the WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig mattresses?
What’s the Firmness Of the WinkBed Plus & Big Fig Mattresses?
Here in the Nerd Lab, we measure mattress firmness on a simple scale of 1–10, where a “1” is softer than feathers and a “10” is like sleeping on bricks. With this in mind, we found that the WinkBed Plus’s firmness falls around an 8/10, and the Big Fig’s firmness is closer to a 7/10.
Overall, this means that both of these hybrid beds are quite firm (which is good news for most heavier sleepers). However, it’s still important to note that the Big Fig’s firmness level is closer to medium-firm, a firmness level which generally tends to be more friendly to average-weight sleepers and side sleepers.
What Do the WinkBed Plus & Big Fig Mattresses Feel Like?
You can expect the WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig to both feel bouncy, firm, and supportive. Some notable differences, however, are that the WinkBed feels a bit firmer, cooler, and more dense, whereas the Big Fig feels a bit softer and responsive.
What’s It Like to Sleep On the WinkBed Plus & Big Fig Mattresses?
Stomach sleepers of all sizes should have an ideal sleeping experience on either of these beds, with no hip sinking. For back sleepers, the WinkBed Plus’s extra support will be a bit better for back sleepers. And, side sleepers will generally prefer the WinkBed Plus’s more dense and relieving design, regardless of weight.
The WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig Mattresses By Body Type
WinkBed Plus Performance By Body Type & Sleeping Position:
|Body Type:||BACK SLEEPERS||STOMACH SLEEPERS||SIDE SLEEPERS|
|Lightweight (< 130 lbs):||4||5||3|
|Average-weight (130–230 lbs):||5||5||4|
|Heavyweight (> 230 lbs):||5||5||5|
Big Fig Original Performance By Body Type & Sleeping Position:
|Body Type:||BACK SLEEPERS||STOMACH SLEEPERS||SIDE SLEEPERS|
|Lightweight (< 130 lbs):||4||5||2|
|Average-weight (130–230 lbs):||4||5||3|
|Heavyweight (> 230 lbs):||5||5||4|
1 = Very poor, 2 = Not good, 3 = Fair, 4 = Good, 5 = Excellent
Average-Weight Sleepers (130–230 lbs)
Average-weight back sleepers will get a great sleeping experience on either bed, but they’ll likely want to go with the WinkBed Plus for extra support. That said, for average-weight stomach sleepers, there’s really no noticeable difference in firmness or performance. Lastly, side sleepers will want to go with the WinkBed’s pressure-relieving feel.
Heavyweight Sleepers (> 230 lbs)
Next up, heavyweight sleepers generally need more support and firmness than other kinds of sleepers. For heavyweight back sleepers, both the WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig offer plenty of firmness, and the same goes for stomach sleepers too. When it comes to heavier side sleepers, however, both beds are great, but the WinkBed’s pressure relief takes the lead again here.
Lightweight Sleepers (< 130 lbs)
On the other hand, lightweight sleepers need the most pressure relief and least amount of firmness, usually. With this in mind, lightweight back sleepers should get a decent balance of pressure relief and firmness on either bed, and the same goes for stomach sleepers too. For lightweight side sleepers, neither of these mattresses are really soft enough.
Differences In Mattress Construction
The WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig are both firmer hybrid mattresses that feature layers of cooling latex and a base of individually-wrapped pocketed coils. However, the WinkBed Plus measures in at 13.5” tall, while the Big Fig is a bit shorter at 13” tall. Plus, the WinkBed Plus includes a layer of natural TENCEL fabric at its top.
|WinkBed Plus Mattress Materials||Big Fig Mattress Materials|
|TENCEL mattress cover||Cooling, gel-infused foam|
|Gel-infused foam||Latex foam|
|Latex foam||High-density foam|
|Individually-wrapped pocketed coils||Individually-wrapped pocketed coils|
The WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig both feature cooling mattress covers, but the WinkBed Plus includes TENCEL, a natural material made from eucalyptus, in its cover. On the other hand, the Big Fig uses thermo gel-infused foam instead.
Underneath the mattress covers, both of these hybrid beds include a couple layers of cooling gel-infused foam and layers of latex foam. This latex offers a naturally bouncy and cooling feel to both beds, making them more responsive and temperature-regulating.
Getting into the deeper layers of these mattresses, they both feature a layer of individually-wrapped pocketed coils, which offer extra support and breathability. However, unlike the WinkBed Plus, the Big Fig has an extra layer of high-density foam above its pocketed coils.
WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig Pricing
|Size||WinkBed Plus Prices||Big Fig Prices|
Check out our list of WinkBeds mattress coupons to help close the price gap.
WinkBed Plus vs. Big Fig Mattress Performance Ratings & Differences
The WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig have lots going in terms of temperature control. They both feature layers of naturally cooling latex and individually-wrapped pocketed coils. Still, the WinkBed is a slightly cooler mattress overall.
As we touched on earlier, motion isolation is an important mattress feature for light sleepers and couples (or both). If you’re someone who doesn’t want to feel their partner’s tossing and turning, then your best bet is to go with the Big Fig mattress.
Edge support is how well a mattress’s perimeter (or edges) hold up against weight. If you like to sit or lie near the edge of your mattress, good edge support will keep your bed from sagging. In this comparison, both of these beds are firmly and thickly built, but the Big Fig’s extra layer of high-density foam makes it a bit more solid.
If you’re a side sleeper, you should definitely be paying attention to your bed’s pressure relief. And, for these two firmer beds, having quality pressure relief is even more important. With that in mind, the WinkBed’s thicker design gives it a slightly more cushioning feel than the Big Fig, which also makes it better for side sleepers.
Getting quality pain relief from your mattress depends a lot on your body type and your preferred sleeping position. The good news here is that, if you’re a back sleeper or stomach sleeper, you shouldn’t have any issues with pain on either the WinkBed Plus or the Big Fig. However, lighter side sleepers may want to avoid both of these super firm mattresses.
Good indicators of a mattress’s firmness include its construction and thickness. Fortunately, both the WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig are made from dense and lasting materials. That said, the Big Fig’s extra layer of high-density foam gives it a slight edge over the WinkBed Plus here.
Shipping, Returns, & Warranties
Now, let’s talk about the policies of these two mattresses. With the WinkBed Plus, you’ll get free shipping on your bed anywhere in the contiguous United states. After your bed ships, it’ll arrive at your doorstep as a bed-in-a-box mattress. Next, you’ll get a 120-night sleep trial with your WinkBed Plus, during which you can return it for any reason and get a full refund. If you do plan on keeping your Winkbed Plus for the long haul, you’ll be entitled a Lifetime warranty that covers any manufacturing defects.
Next up, with the Big Fig mattress, you’ll receive free shipping on your order, although you can also pay to have your bed set up. After your bed is unpacked, you’ll have a 120-night sleep trial to test out your bed, and you can return your Big Fig for a refund during that time. In terms of warranty, the Big Fig comes with a 20-year warranty that covers normal wear and tear plus manufacturing defects.
Other Models Available
ProductWinkBeds EcoCloud Mattress
FirmnessMultiple firmness options
ProductWinkBeds GravityLux Mattress
FirmnessMultiple firmness options
Our Final Take
The WinkBed Plus and the Big Fig are hybrid beds designed to support heavier sleepers. Some key differences between these mattresses are that the WinkBed offers more firmness and pressure relief as well, while the Big Fig is more responsive and durable. Finally, both beds are similarly priced, but the WinkBed Plus comes with a more generous warranty.
WinkBed Plus & Big Fig FAQs
How Much Weight Can The WinkBed Plus Support?
The WinkBed Plus is a hybrid mattress designed for heavyweight sleepers over 300 lbs; however, this bed also works for more average-weight and even lighter sleepers under 130 lbs. That said, the upper weight limit of this bed is 450 lbs on each side, or 1000 lbs overall.
Should You Flip The Big Fig Mattress?
No. The Big Fig mattress is a one-sided bed, meaning that flipping it could cause damage or even void your warranty. However, you should rotate your Big Fig every few months. This helps to keep general wear and tear and indentations distributed evenly throughout the mattress.
Is the Big Fig Mattress Toxic?
No. The Big Fig mattress does not include any toxic materials such as fiber glass. This bed is made from safe materials including latex foam, memory foam, and individually-wrapped pocketed coils. Plus, the Big Fig’s memory foam has no harmful emissions or chemicals in it.
Titan Plus Mattress Review
The Mattress Nerd’s Take: The Titan Plus mattress was designed to be one of the best mattresses for plus-size sleepers. The hybrid construction, consisting of memory foam and pocketed coils, puts this mattress on the medium-firm end of the firmness scale, making it a great option for all sleeping positions. Is the Titan Plus Mattress […]