Best Bamboo Sheets
A guide to the best bamboo sheets, the pros and cons, who they’re good for, and what to consider when shopping for them.
From comforters to pillows, duvet covers to sheets, bamboo bedding accessories have become increasingly popular over the past few years. This is partly due to how eco-friendly these products are. The bamboo plant is exceptionally fast-growing and relatively easy to harvest. When woven into fabric, bamboo is also naturally super soft, breathable, moisture-wicking, and durable.
Bamboo can produce several bed sheet fabric types, including linen, rayon, and lyocell sheets. In addition to the inherent qualities of raw bamboo listed above, bamboo sheets have a pleasant draping effect and feel cool to the touch. In this article, we’re sharing our picks for the best bamboo sheets and a buyer’s guide to bamboo sheets. In the guide, you’ll find important considerations for first-time buyers and tips for how to choose the best bamboo bed sheets for your lifestyle and bedroom.
Disclosure: By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Nerd may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
Best Bamboo Sheets
- Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Twill Sheets – Editor’s Pick
- Layla Sheets – Best Cooling Sheets
- Cariloha 400-Thread-Count Resort Bamboo Sheets – Best Moisture-Wicking Sheets
- Target Rayon from Bamboo Deep Pocket Sheet Set – Most Variety
- Purple Sheets – Softest Bamboo Sheets
- Luxor Linens Bamboo Sheet Set – Best Color Selection
- MALOUF 100% Rayon Bamboo Sheet Set – Best Luxury
- Royal Hotel Silky Bamboo Sheet Set – Best Value
Editor’s PickBrooklyn Bedding’s Bamboo Twill Sheets are 100% rayon made from bamboo. They feature a 300-thread-count weave and a 14” pocket depth and are available in four color options. This set stands out from the rest thanks to its twill weave, which strengthens the fabric to improve its durability and proneness to wrinkles without trapping heat or interfering with bamboo’s natural draping effect. Brooklyn Bedding is able to offer its high-quality bamboo sheets at an affordable price thanks to its direct-to-consumer model. They also offer a 120-night sleep trial and free returns if you’re not satisfied with the product, but the cooling, antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, and temperature regulating characteristics of the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Twill Sheets make it doubtful you’ll even consider a return.
Best Cooling Bamboo SheetsThe Layla Bamboo Sheets are 100% viscose made from bamboo. These 300-thread-count sheets have a 14” depth and are available in two color options: white and grey. These viscose sheets have a silky finished and sleep 3 degrees cooler than cotton sheets. This material is also hypoallergenic. Layla Sleep offers 120-night sleep trial with a money back guarantee if you don’t love them. You also get free shipping and a 5-year warranty. Reason to Buy: The Layla bamboo sheets sleep cooler than most other comparable sheets on the market.
Best Moisture-Wicking Bamboo SheetsThese sheets are made with the utmost attention to detail by Cariloha, a company that specializes in bamboo products. Bamboo fibers are woven into viscose with a sateen finish that’s soft, temperature regulating, and smooth. The seams feature a box-stitch detail for added durability. These Cariloha bamboo sheets have a 400-thread-count that the company claims surpasses the softness of even 1,000-thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets. Each set includes one flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two pillowcases, and fits mattresses up to 18” deep. Reason to Buy: Made by a company that specializes in bamboo products, these Cariloha sheets are claimed to be softer than 1,000-thread-count Egyptian cotton.
Most VarietyThese 100% Rayon from Bamboo sheets from Target have extra deep pockets (22”) to fit any mattress. They’re constructed with a 300-thread-count sateen weave, which enhances the bamboo’s breathability and moisture-wicking properties. The hem is pleated for a beautiful finish, and the set is available in five colors. Reviewers write that this is “their favorite purchase of the year” and wonder “how they didn’t know about these sheets sooner,” rating everything from comfort and quality to fit and ease of washing with 5/5 stars. Each set comes with four pieces: one oversized flat sheet, one deep pocket fitted sheet, and two pillowcases and is available in sizes Twin through California King. Reason to Buy: Target carries a surprisingly wide variety of bedding sets. This bamboo set in a sateen weave is among the most popular.
Softest Bamboo SheetsThe unique Purple Sheets are made of 90 percent bamboo and 10 percent spandex. The spandex helps it achieve the maximum stretch needed to keep up with the Purple grid on the Purple mattresses. These sheets are super-soft and come in four colors: slate, white, sand, and purple. Purple offers free shipping and a 1-year warranty with the purchase of the Purple sheets. Reason to Buy: Ultra-stretchy sheets that work perfectly with the Purple mattress.
Best Color SelectionThe Luxor Linens Bali Bamboo Sheets come in 12 colors, providing the most color selection of any bamboo sheet product we’ve seen. They’re made from a hybrid fabric of viscose from bamboo and polyester microfibers that create a plush feel to the bedding. The hybrid construction also contributes to its wrinkle-resistant qualities. Regardless of the color you choose, all Luxor Linen Bamboo Sheets are infused with aloe vera for extra softness. The aloe vera also aids in the sheets’ cooling abilities. Luxor Linen sheets come with a 90-night trial and free shipping.
Best Luxury Bamboo SheetsThe MALOUF 100% Rayon Bamboo Sheet Set, our Best Luxury pick, is made from 100% rayon from imported bamboo, resulting in a remarkably soft and silky feel. The rayon’s porous composition enhances the sheets’ cooling abilities, and they’re also ideal for sensitive skin, wicking moisture away from the body as you rest. The deep pockets and elasticized edges product a secure, smooth fit on even the deepest of mattresses, ensuring a crisp clean feel each night and no difficulty making the bed in the morning. Like all bamboo sheets, this set is also hypoallergenic and odor resistant. The MALOUF Rayon Bamboo Sheet Set is available in six muted, neutral colors and 11 mattress sizes. Pillows are sold separately, but each sheet set comes with a 5-year warranty. Reason to Buy: For the best of the best bamboo sheets, we recommend MALOUF. They’re supremely silky, elasticized, fit deep mattresses, and gentle on sensitive skin.
Best Value Bamboo SheetsRoyal Hotel’s Silky Bamboo Sheets are available made from 100% viscose made from bamboo in a 300-thread-count. They feature an 18” pocket depth and come in 12 color options and 9 sizes. While not the most inexpensive sheet set on this list, these are our best value pick, meaning you’ll get the highest level of quality for every dollar spent in this set. The viscose from bamboo offers the same qualities (breathability, moisture-wicking, softness, and more) that many higher-priced competing sheets do. The Royal Hotel Silky Bamboo Sheet set is also backed by a 90-night warranty. Reason to Buy: This entire set, which includes four pieces, is available for less than $80 in any size.
Bamboo Sheet Buying Guide
Bamboo sheets are among the most enjoyable on the market, thanks to their silky texture, plush feel, breathability, and durable construction. It’s no wonder bamboo has become such a popular material for bedding over the last decade: What’s not to love? While bamboo is technically a synthetic when woven into a fabric, it’s one of the most sustainable textile sources available, making every 100% bamboo purchase an eco-friendly one.
Below, we’re sharing our bamboo sheet buying guide. It includes information about how bamboo is used to produce fabric, types of bamboo sheets, considerations for first-time buyers, and how to ensure you’re purchasing the best bamboo sheet set for your needs.
How Bamboo Sheets are Made
Contrary to popular belief, bamboo products are not necessarily made from 100 percent bamboo. Rather, bamboo’s cellular walls are extracted and chemically treated to produce a fabric. This fabric is then threaded into a variety of weaves, such as sateen. There are two ways bamboo can be processed into a fabric:
- Chemical process—Bamboo cellulose (cell walls) is treated with chemicals that soften the fibers. The resulting substance is crushed, pressed, and processed to produce threads that are woven into fabrics.
- Mechanical process—Bamboo leaves and other materials are extracted from the bamboo plant. Then, they’re crushed to separate the cellulose from the roughage. Cellulose is then spun into a yarn that’s woven into fabrics.
Whether chemically or mechanically processed, the yarn that results from bamboo cellulose can be made into viscose, rayon, or lyocell. Each of these is a type of textile that is relatively similar in terms of softness, breathability, and durability.
Types of Bamboo Sheets
The types of bamboo sheets available fall into the three categories listed above: rayon, viscose, and lyocell.
- Rayon from bamboo—The most common type of bamboo fabric, rayon is a synthetic fabric derived from bamboo cellulose that’s softened with lye and dissolved in carbon disulfide. Rayon is light, breathable, and soft as a result.
- Viscose from bamboo—Viscose, and rayon are sometimes referred to interchangeably. Viscose is the preferred term in Europe, whereas rayon is the preferred term in North America.
- Lyocell from bamboo—Lyocell is a textile made from bamboo cellulose that is a subtype of rayon. The process for creating lyocell is similar to rayon, but with one difference: cellulose is dissolved with an organic compound rather than lye, making the resulting material more environmentally-friendly.
Considerations for Buying
Regardless of type, size, color, or manufacturer of bamboo sheets you select, all sheets made with material derived from bamboo have similar benefits. They’re naturally hypoallergenic, cool and breathable, moisture-wicking, soft, and durable. However, bamboo sheet products vary in other characteristics, such as thread count, weave, color, price, and maintenance. We consider each below.
- Thread Count—The majority of bamboo sheets on the market have a thread count of 300–400. This range is a nice benchmark, and we recommend investigating sheets advertised with higher thread counts. Customer reviews can be a great source of information to determine if these claims are legitimate.
- Weave—Like all bed sheets, bamboo-derived yarn can be threaded, or interlaced, in a variety of patterns that have a distinct feel. percale weave, for example, mimics a men’s dress shirt, whereas a sateen weave is silkier and has a slight sheen.
- Maintenance—Bamboo sheets always require special care and the majority of manufacturers discourage cleaning materials like bleach, dryer sheets, and fabric softener. Check the washing instructions to make sure the cleaning guidelines for the sheet set you’re considering align with your preferred level of maintenance.
- Color—Bamboo-based sheets have excellent durability, meaning you may have them for a long time. If you’re outfitting a guest or master bedroom, consider neutral colors that match with any aesthetic. Neutral colors also help create a calm sleep environment, while dark or jewel-toned colors can stimulate the brain and interrupt sleep.
How to Pick the Right Bamboo Sheets for You
We hope this guide has provided enough helpful information to serve as a launching pad in your bamboo sheet shopping journey. While there’s no “right” or “wrong” bamboo sheet set, the best option for you will depend on your budget, preferences, and other factors. We also recommend reviewing the manufacturer’s warranty, sleep trial, and return policies, as these will inform how flexible your purchase is and whether your investment is protected.
How to Fold a Fitted Sheet
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cotton Sheets
A guide to the best cotton sheets, the pros and cons, who they’re good for, and what to consider when shopping for them.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Linen SheetsLearn how linen is made, its benefits, the best linen sheets on the market, and how to care for linen bed sheets.
In This Article
- How Bamboo Sheets are Made
- Types of Bamboo Sheets
- Considerations for Buying
- How to Pick the Right Bamboo Sheets for You
- How to Fold a Fitted Sheet