Disclosure: By clicking on the product links in this article, Mattress Nerd may receive a commission fee at no cost to you, the reader. Read full disclosure statement.
The following is a list of additional resources to help you sleep more soundly.
- Dohm-DS White Noise Generator: Your brain is good at detecting changes in sound level, which is why the smallest sound in an otherwise silent house can keep you up. This is a white noise generator, which drowns out those extraneous sounds to help you fall asleep quicker. This is the highest-rated and one of the best selling ones on Amazon. I personally use this one, and it helps me get a better night’s sleep. My fiancee likes how this one sounds better than the app I used to use on my phone.
- Leviton Amber Nightlight: Blue light (which is present in white light as well) disrupts melatonin production in your body, which makes it harder to fall asleep. If you use a night light, use one that doesn’t have blue in it. The amber-colored Leviton linked above is just one example. Find one that suits your needs, as long as it isn’t white or blue.
- Uvex S0360X Blue blocking goggles: These goggles will block the melatonin-disrupting blue light from reaching your eyes at night, so you can sleep better.
- IMAK Sleep Mask: I don’t use sleep masks personally, but this was the best-reviewed one I could find on Amazon. It will block out the light from outside to help you go to sleep and wake up at the correct time. This is especially useful during the summer when the sun doesn’t go down until almost 9pm and comes up at 5am.
- Protect-a-bed Mattress Protector: This is one of the most popular mattress protectors on the market. A mattress protector does four things: it keeps the mattress clean, it prevents the foams from wearing down due to perspiration and other fluids, it prevents allergens like dust mites from accumulating in the mattress, and it protects the warranty.
Where to buy a mattress online
- Leesa: High quality direct-to-consumer foam mattress with a 100 night return policy. See my review of them here.
- US Mattress: One of the largest online retailers of mattresses. Also has a few stores in the Michigan area.
- Sears: I usually don’t recommend department stores because their prices tend to be a little higher, but Sears occasionally has great sales.
- Mattress Advisor: This website is a great resource for unbiased reviews on specific mattresses and manufacturers. The site also reviews other sleep products such as mattress toppers and sound machines.
- The Sleep Doctor: This is the homepage of Dr. Michael Breus. He has a blog, several books, and links to his sleep articles elsewhere.
- The National Sleep Foundation: A foundation created to spread the word about the importance of sleep.
- The Harvard Medical School Guide to a Good Night’s Sleep: This book is from one of the most esteemed medical schools in the world. It has advice on getting a better night’s sleep as well as detailing the consequences for not sleeping well.
- The Promise of Sleep: A New York Times bestseller by Dr. William Dement, a world-renowned sleep-researcher